I am thinking of the opposite. In J dictionary, only tie conjunction
on verbs was mentioned to produce a gerund. Boxed verbs had not been
mentioned. Atomic representation of boxed verbs looks like that of
gerund and therefore can work as gerund. IMO this is a backdoor
provided by J implementation.

Metadata could be attached to "real" gerunds that have ancestors which
were  results of verb`verb. All other nouns without this DNA would be
regarded as non-gerund.

Just my 2 cents.