Mike,

Agreed that behavior is a nuisance. Not sure what to do about it.

On jconsole and JHS the warning that it takes time appears immediately. On
Jqt the message doesn't appear until the build is done.

Demos are built only if they don't already exist, so this is probably a one
time nuisance.

One option (the way it was many releases ago) is that jdrt reports that
demos need to be built first and that this takes time and give the sentence
to builddemos. But this seems overkill.

My old win7 laptop it takes less than 15 seconds to build the demos.

Did it really take 'a minute or three'?

Unless others raise this issue, we'll let it rest.

Meanwhile, now that your demos are built, I hope you get to the more fun
parts.