Hi,

I spend some time to find a fix for tickets #458. The problem is
that special-display-regexps is obsolete in 24.3, while its
replacement, display-buffer-alist was only introduced in 24.1 and
not fully functional before 24.3. Writing compatible code for
emacs 23 and 24 without obsolete warning therefore requires
explicit version checks.

I therefore suggest that we change to display-buffer-alist when
we drop support for Emacs 23.

To fix #458, warnings should be non-fatal when users compile
Proof General for their local emacs. I just committed the
necessary changes in the Makefile. For developers, there is now
the new target 'check' that retains the old behavior, i.e.,
stopping compilation on every byte-compilation warning.

Bye,

Hendrik