David Aspinall <david.aspin...@ed.ac.uk> writes:

   This fix was helpful but unfortunately means that developers are more
   likely to introduce bugs unless they run

      make clean; make check

I agree. But even before the change we had now and then
compilation errors in the repository.

>From my point of view the compilation errors are not an issue.
They are rare and if one is reported on this list it is fixed
immediately.

I have nevertheless two suggestions:

- we could have a nightly compilation and spam pg-devel when
  errors occur

- we could add

     -include LocalMakefile

  to Makefile and have a LocalMakefile that makes ``check'' the
  default compilation target and omit LocalMakefile from the
  distribution.

If you think these compilation errors are an issue, I volunteer
to implement one or both suggestions.

Bye,

Hendrik