This fix was helpful but unfortunately means that developers are more likely to introduce bugs unless they run

   make clean; make check

before committing. E.g., I have just tried to make a pre-release but I now get the error

In toplevel form:
coq/coq.el:1040:67:Error: reference to free variable `coq-project-filename'

(Hendrik, I think this is yours?)

 - David