Ok - it seems it should be 'libxp6' not 'libxp'.  That is, the instruction
for ancestor packages for installing OpenMotif on Ubuntu should be:

    apt-get install libxp6

All the other instructions should still hold - for example, it is still
'libxp-dev'(and not 'libxp6-dev') for installing ProofPower 'xpp'.

Thanks very much Roger, that was very valuable.  Any more problems anyone,
please let me know.

Mark.