There were some discussions last year about making the ProofPower source
repository available online, but this didn't come to anything. The main problem
I have is that the popular version control systems (CVS, SVN, Git, Mercurial)
don't seem to fit very well with what I have always done once-up-a-time with
SCCS and since then with RCS - namely have one flat repository of source files
that different packages share. I have a symbolic link to this repository in
directories for the various ProofPower packages and the makefiles for each
package (which have distinctive names) get what they need out of the
repository. Thus one source file can appear in several different packages,
which turns out to be more useful than it sounds, given that source files here
includes things like LaTeX style files and other stuff that isn't really source
code, but is needed to make the package.

In order to make some progress in this direction, I have written a shell script
that you can find here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34693999/opp-developer-setup.sh

that creates a directory structure like the one I use to develop ProofPower. It
then builds the OpenProofPower packages in that structure. Finally it builds
the distribution (using the makefile for a pseudo-package called opp). There
are comments at the top of the script that explain what it does and various
environment variables that parametrize it. Unless you ask it not to, the script
downloads a tarball of the RCS repository.

If anyone feels minded to look at this and advise how it could be adapted to
work with Mercurial or Git, I would be very grateful. My ideal would be to be
able to map between Mercurial or Git and RCS. Any feedback on this would be
gratefully received.