Further to my last, this is what I did before building on Ubuntu 12.04

sudo apt-get install texlive-latex-extra texlive-fonts-extra
sudo apt-get install libXp-dev libXext-dev \
             libXmu-dev libXt-dev \
             libxft-dev libjpeg-dev libpng12-dev
sudo apt-get install libmotif4 libmotif-dev libmotif4-dbg
sudo apt-get install splint groff
sudo apt-get install autoconf
sudo apt-get install g++

You don't need all that for PolyML and ProofPower (probably not the
texlive extra stuff, but that's probably the only large item you don't need).
Sorry I can't be more definite, I found it hard to figure out what I
needed for PolyML, the configure script tells you a lot about what is there
and what isn't but its not so clear which items are actually necessary.

Roger Jones