I did an interesting test yesterday:

I opened two differente XMPP accounts on two PCs, and started sending
messages from A to B.

I unplugged the network cable from B, without stopping the messages. For
a short while B still apeared online (since it had not timed out yet).

About 30 minutes later, I reconnected the cable on B.  The messages I
had sent from A before B timed-out did not arrive. They were lost in
the nether, never to be seen again. And they did not BOUNCE to A either.

While this is a very controled lab-like case, the truth is, we all
timeout at some point, and, evidently, messages are getting lost.

Is there any way around this? Any setting, XEP, plugin, etc?

Thanks, cheers,

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera