Hi Matthew, I have not exactly gotten it working and wondered if you had
any further thoughts.

Must be doing something stupid.

In the logs:

*info* vCard  for u...@domain.com
> [xmpp-1] 2015-03-20T21:59:51.813731734Z mod_bosh
>         *error* Traceback[bosh]:
> ...sody-modules/mod_offline_email/mod_offline_email.lua:28: attempt to
> index local 'vcard' (a nil value)

local username=jid_bare(stanza.attr.to);
module:log("info", "vCard  for %s", username);

local vCardRaw=vcards:get(username);
local vcard = st.deserialize(vCardRaw);
local email = vcard:get_child_text("EMAIL"); <-- error

I haven't succeeded in logging out the contents of the vCard either. Keeps
complaining of a nil index. But I am absolutely positive that the jid has
the vCard - I see it in the db, and I can view it using Adium and retrieve
it using stanza.io.

The only other thing I did was add

local st = require "util.stanza";

Any thoughts on how to debug? Here's a gist of your bastardized code:
mod_offline_email.lua
<https://gist.github.com/metalaureate/da5f72401651414d551a>

Thank you.

Si