Have generally handled this sort of alignment problem in mechanical CAD
package. Our companay uses SolidWorks to design all of our mechanical
assemblies, including PCB "sandwiches" of the sort you describe. Usually
model connectors, power blocks, other elements that connect to more than one
PCB, in SoliWorks, and create pin pattern drawings for each of the boards in
a stack, then export to Protel via DXF. This involves design work outside of
Protel that may be seen as redundant, but, as it happens, need to create the
solid model anyhow, in order to ensure that the PCB assemblies fit into the
machine that they are part of.

W Letendre