> Bryan Bernesi wrote:

> I am an ex-OrCad user who ran into the same problem in Protel.
>
> When transfering the netlist from SCH to PCB (using Update PCB);
> following the excellent notes that Colby shared with us, I came across
> an error that used to drive me nuts in OrCad. The pins on any diode
> (LED) found in the miscellaneous devices.lib are not the same as the
> pins found on the PCB footprint diode.(LED) due to different pin
> names/numbers.
> Now, I remember Mr.Lomax telling me that editing the components that
> came with Protel was a no-no, and to have multiple footprints for the
> same component is also a no-no.
>
> What can I do?

Start with the Protel component and save the edited copy to another
(YOUR OWN library). I NEVER reference the Protel libraries in my
projects but may check their parts and then use/edit/build my own in my
own set of libraries.

I think Abd's point was to:
  a) not edit and return a part to the Protel library
      (since an upgrade may overwrite that updated part)
  b) not have multiple footprints of the same device referenced
       within a project (since it is not obvious which is the
       correct version).

David W. Gulley
Destiny Designs