> Bryan Bernesi wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am an ex-OrCad user who ran into the same problem in Protel.
>
> When transfering the netlist from SCH to PCB (using Update PCB);
> following the excellent notes that Colby shared with us, I came across
> an error that used to drive me nuts in OrCad. The pins on any diode
> (LED) found in the miscellaneous devices.lib are not the same as the
> pins found on the PCB footprint diode.(LED) due to different pin
> names/numbers.
> Now, I remember Mr.Lomax telling me that editing the components that
> came with Protel was a no-no, and to have multiple footprints for the
> same component is also a no-no.

No, editing Protel's components isn't a no-no, but you have to be aware
of the ramifications - namely, that if you edit one of Protel's libaries
without changing its name, future upgrades may replace that library,
causing you to lose all your customization.

Long ago, I copied Protel's "devices.lib" schematic library to
"mydevices.lib", and have since customized or corrected parts in that
library.  Similarly, I renamed the old standard PCB library, and only
work on, and use, the renamed copy.  If a future upgrade replaces the
original libraries, my work is still safe in my custom libraries.

--
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF