Ian Wilson wrote:

> 1) Select everything you wish to copy: tracks, pads, vias, components, poly
> pours etc.
> 2) Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Ins (or Edit|Copy) to choose a reference point.
> 3) go to the new location
> 4) Edit|Paste Special...  and ensure that Keep Net Names is selected. (If
> panelising you may also want to check Allow Duplicate Designators.)
> 5) Hit enter and position it where you want.
>
> There is one issue (at least) that can be a problem - copy and paste does
> not copy the rules that apply to the entities you have copied. Such things
> as plane expansions and polygon pour clearances etc.  You can export the
> rules from the original and import into the new - but if a rule refers to
> something not in the new design (such as a specific pad) who knows what
> Protel will do.  Past form has suggested that defensive programming may not
> be undertaken and there might be a nice crash - but then again maybe rule
> importing is more robust than that - try it.
>
> Suggestion: I would like an extra option on the paste special menu - copy
> all applicable rules.  If you right click on an object in PCB you can get
> it to list the applicable unary and binary rules - so Protel has already
> solved the issue of working out what rules to copy.

Ian,

Thank very much you for your answer!

I tried just before my call for help with
Paste Special command but i received
a lot of DRC and missing traces!
I "just" forgotted to set the correct design rules
and stack layer for my new design!!!
For this reason, i totally agree with your
suggestion to include all applicable rules as an option.
(Maybe used layers could be activated
if possible, as the source, like a starting default
configuration ?)

Best regards,

Rudy

ASGALIUM UNITEC SA