On 10:18 AM 13/03/2001 +0100, Rudolf Schaffer said:

>Hello,
>
>One more time i'm searching for help!
>
>-1- I have a prototype PCB1 totally routed.
>-2- I want to copy a region with connected components
>      from PCB1 into a new design.(with 100% loaded components and
>netlist)
>-3- How to proceed?
>
>(P99SE/SP6)
>
>Thank you for an answer.
>
>Regards,
>
>Rudolf Schaffer

1) Select everything you wish to copy: tracks, pads, vias, components, poly
pours etc.
2) Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Ins (or Edit|Copy) to choose a reference point.
3) go to the new location
4) Edit|Paste Special...  and ensure that Keep Net Names is selected. (If
panelising you may also want to check Allow Duplicate Designators.)
5) Hit enter and position it where you want.

There is one issue (at least) that can be a problem - copy and paste does
not copy the rules that apply to the entities you have copied. Such things
as plane expansions and polygon pour clearances etc.  You can export the
rules from the original and import into the new - but if a rule refers to
something not in the new design (such as a specific pad) who knows what
Protel will do.  Past form has suggested that defensive programming may not
be undertaken and there might be a nice crash - but then again maybe rule
importing is more robust than that - try it.

Suggestion: I would like an extra option on the paste special menu - copy
all applicable rules.  If you right click on an object in PCB you can get
it to list the applicable unary and binary rules - so Protel has already
solved the issue of working out what rules to copy.

Good luck,

Ian

* To join or leave this list visit: