Abdul.
Don't get me wrong I will do a small jobs for   good or new customers. When
I find myself doing to many small jobs for the same customer and  they did
not award me  a large design,  I quit  responding  to their next request for
quote.    I  will not be insulted as a small business supplier used to
satisfy government purchasing regulations if you know what I mean.      As
you mentioned my overhead cost remain constant weather I am involved in a
large design or a small one.   However the percentage that is billed to a
small job is disportionate to the actual task of doing  the design.  Jim
Mcgrath and I were discussing this offline.     If I have to meet with a
customer, go to his site, drink his coffee, eat his donuts, talk to his
staff, then drive back and put together a proposal, I would rather do it for
a larger job where it is easier to bury  a 4 hour meeting, my  travel time,
marketing, and proposal.  Unfortunately my min overhead on most jobs eats up
6 hours and I am a one man operation ( wife helps)      Like you said
overhead can be high.  My hourly rate may lower than most, however, I bill
like a lawyer.  If you require more than soft copies ie hard prints: we
bill, if you require me to look up lacking information for  BOM and
parts....we bill.  If you sign off on one of our designs and make the
slightest change...we bill.   I use a database for proposals: it is set up
to provide both costing for labor and material.   I think my database is
fairly accurate and the least amount of hours that we can touch a design for
is close to 30 hours ( including overhead). That leaves me 24 hours or 3
days to design, have a design review with the customer,  make their changes
( which does happen 99/100 times)  then finish and deliver. The changes are
also factored into the proposal.    I learned something long ago "the
customer is always right"....that's allot of bull hockey.  Only a few
customers are always right, the rest are hiring me for my expertise to guide
them thru what they generally don't have a clue to do and that's the
confident cocky attitude I have unless someone knows a lot more than me.  I
can size someone up in the first few minutes of dealing with them.  I am
sure they size me up also.  I know when to back down but assertiveness is
part of the marketing game.  nuff said.

By the way:  I got my design loaded to specta this afternoon:   I guess it
is fairly large it was an 8 meg dsn file which is fairly large and even took
specta several minutes to load. I have never seen spectra take that long to
load a file.  And of course I am try ing to make route between emails

later
Mike Reagan
EDSI