At 04:06 PM 3/15/01 -0800, Tony Karavidas wrote:
>I found my old Protel 2.8 floppies and installing it on a Window2000 system.

Well, I'm glad that Mr. Karavidas has solved his problem.

>Protel: Why did you break the importer!?? Please fix it! I don't what to
>have to drag around Protel2.8 for this feature.

They did not break the importer. They simply did not write a Tango importer
for version 3 and have been insufficiently motivated to write one subsequently.

Think about it: the 2.8 importer reads a Tango file and produces a 2.8
file. The file format for 2.8 is radically different than the v.3 format
(which is basically in use, though I think it is now v.4; but v.3 records,
I think, will still be correctly interpreted. In any case, a new importer,
or some method of piggybacking importers, would have to be written. Since
there is already a method of dealing with Tango files, I can understand why
they haven't done it.

I have a huge archive of Tango designs and I, for one, have many other
suggestions for where Protel could put programming resources. Importing
Tango is low on the list.

But I think the Protel 98 documentation, as I recall, somewhere stated that
Protel 98 would import Tango, or maybe it was some advertising I saw.
Technically, that was not correct. It imports 2.8 (and all other historical
Protel issues, I think), and version 2.8 imports Tango.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433