At 02:19 PM 5/2/01 +0100, Jason Morgan wrote:
>[...]
>Opening a document reported that the access record is in use, crashing the
>machine.
>Any other machine opening the same sheet now crashes with the same error.

Shall we assume that there has been an attempt to repair the database with
the repair database tool under the Client menu?

However, *any* file which reliably crashes the program is a jewel. Why?
Because it should be impossible to crash a program with bad data, if the
data is properly treated. Instead, if the data is bad, we should get a
message to that effect. Frankly, I think Protel should pay users to find
such files. First user to find a bug which crashes the program, $500 prize!
Be sure to save that file! I, for one, would like to try loading it, and
I'd think that Protel CSC would be interested too.

That would reframe bugs a bit, wouldn't it? Instead of Drat! another crash,
it might be Wow!, dreams of sudden wealth.

Mr. Morgan reported multiple and frequent problems. Since most of us don't
see anything like that, we can suspect some system problem, maybe a bad
install somewhere, configuration, or, as Mr. Wilson suggested, a buggy
video card (it is likely that Protel's reputed incompatibility with ATI
cards -- I don't know if it is still true, but I was one of the people who
verified that one -- is due to anomalous behavior of the card. Then, once
the system is crashing, the database can get a tad randomised.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433