Hey, folks, please delete the extra stuff at the bottom of your message
when you reply!

At 05:03 PM 7/18/01 -0400, Jeff Adolphs wrote:
>Thank You!
>When I tried moving the files to a new directory the .ddb file did not
>recognise the new file names.
>I deleted the .ddb file, tried to open the .prj file which created a new
>.ddb file.
>
>For the PCB directory: I tried to open the .pcb file which created a new
>.ddb file. The old .ddb
>file did not recognise the new file name for the .pcb file.
>
>Am I missing anything?

Well, you should have mentioned that you are using the Windows File System.
In the Windows File System, the .ddb file is just a collection of pointers
to the individual files, with their file types. If you copy this kind of
.ddb to somewhere else, the pointers will still point to the original file
locations. I'm not sure about exactly how far up the hierarchy the pointer
goes, but this is likely the source of problems.

There are two solutions:

(1) Use the Access system. A lot of us were reluctant to do this at first,
but I've certainly been converted! You could then just copy the .ddb file,
rename it to show the revision level you want, and you can then edit it and
its files with no problems. This is exactly one of the reasons the Access
system was developed. This is the recommended solution.

(2) If you must use the Windows File System, create a new database and then
select and copy the files, or drag and drop will work I think, with both
databases open; you should be able to do it with one selection and copy or
one selection and drag and drop.

Basic rule about the Windows File System: Don't rename, move, or delete
files within the .ddb's directory, through the Windows File Manager or a
DOS prompt or whatever, anything except using Client. You may thoroughly
confuse Client, since the Windows File System in Protel depends on the
pointers in the .ddb file.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690