From: Jim McGrath [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2001 7:20 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] file formats for PCB manufacturers

Brad,

If I recall correctly the IPC-D-350 was supposed to be a format that would
allow any CAD package to exchange data (in fact whole designs) with any
other CAD package. Talk about Utopia! It never caught on or hasn't
yet.

The IPC needs more teeth to be truly our guiding force. Most will agree that
their specs are a good place to start but not the end all in information.
Unless

the many component makers adopt their standards they cannot be completely
trusted. I can't tell you how many times A part is call SOIC-16 and actually
is quite differnet in reallity.

Another good example is the design cetification. How many Designers are
certifiied worldwide? 50 maybe?

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to have a definitive force in our field
but I just don't see it.

I hope I haven't offended anyone but that is the way I feel.

Regards,

Jim McGrath
CAD Connections, Inc.