On 06:04 PM 6/08/2001 +1000, DUTTON Phil said:
>Is there any problem with 'A' compared to 'a' though?
>
>Phil.

Yeah - this is what I would be worried about.  In order not to push the
software into areas that in the past have been problems (case sensitivity)
I think I might use pin numbers like
1A, 1B, 1C, .. , 1AA, 1BB, 1CC etc

These will not cause any issues with PCB footprints. The deviation from the
manufacturers data sheet is not so bad and a small note on the sch could
explain what is going on. I think this would be better than 1A, 1B, .. 1AA,
1BA, 1BC etc. But it does not fit well with Protel's pin number/name
incrementing so it is a bit of a manual process.

As for Protel recognizing the difference between a pin 1A and a pin 1a - I
think I had a problem with this sort of thing.  But from memory it was only
the netlist import/synchronizer macro maker that was not case
sensitive.  The Sch and the PCB were OK but the netlist import/Synch got
confused.  It is a long time ago and I think I did report it to Protel -
maybe it was fixed in a SP.  Or maybe I am way off the ball and there
is/was no such bug.  Anyway - I do not think I would rely on case
sensitivity for pin names and numbers.

Ian Wilson