Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

> Q:  Should we lose our hard-earned name recognition and piss away the
> millions of $ in advertising we have spent and free publicity we have been
> given over the years?
>
> What do you think the answer would have been?
>
> Other (in)famous corporate name changes:
> AT&T -> Lucent (in trouble now)
> HP -> Agilent (still good, but sounds like 'flatulent')
> Anderson Consulting -> Accenture (yawn)
> Honeywell -> GE (oops, didn't quite make it!)
> AMP -> Tyco (still good, but a connector is a connector is a
> connector...Hey, don't those guys make those HO guage hobby trains?)

You forgot my favorite, Univac bercoming part of Unisys.  The history
in that name!  Who else could say they sold the world's first commercial
computer!  It WASN'T IBM!

As for Honeywell/GE, their computer businesses have been so intertwined over
so MANY years, back in the discrete transistor days!
There was the Honeywell/GE/Honeywell/GE.....  650 computer system, the
very beginning of time shared computing.  Many of the machines had
both the Honeywell and GE logos on the front.  I think that division was
sold back and forth 4 times in the 60's and 70's, so this would have been
the 5th time to swap.

One really has to wonder about all this name change stuff!  It makes no sense
to me!  HP - what an incredible name, history, brand loyalty, etc.  And, the
name went to the wrong side, the computer division.

Jon

*                      - or email -