Tim Hutcheson wrote:

> Cool.  Traces are short, less than 2.5" max, getting shorter as I eliminate
> resistors. :-)
>
> Rise time is large, nominally it is 2 nsec.

This should work.  2 nS Tr is pretty generous.  The wavefront with a 2 nS Tr
is about 15" long, so you won't even see the incident wave step.  I'm a little
bit surprised the termination is really necessary, unless the reference design
has a LOT longer traces.  My guess is you could use any reasonable trace width
without resistors, and the 50 Ohm drivers will still absorb the transients
quickly enough to keep the system working correctly.  At 133 MHz (assuming
single-data rate) the time between clocks is 7.5 nS (although the setup and hold

times at the receiving chips are bound to be less).  If this is DDR, then it is
getting
tight, but I bet it would still work.  There just won't be much of that
transient
rattling around on such a short line with a 2 nS Tr (unless that is a worst-case

maximum Tr).  Now, if the Tr was 200 pS, it is a whole different story!

Jon

*                      - or email -