Andrew J Jenkins wrote:

> On the other side of the coin, there's a point that can be made that the moves
>Altium has initiated will serve to provide long-term health for the company, thereby
>providing a more sound long-term investment for its customers.
>
> However, iff the company doesn't ALSO put some cash into shaking out the age-ed PEDA
>superstructure's ?kernel(s)? to do away with long-standing, recurrent problems,
>(video "oddities", Delphi-driven resource hogging, low correlation between the
>suite's editors, etc.), my gut says #1 is a high likelihood event, somewhat a concern
>to me, because it seems like Altium is leaning towards more of a dividend-driven
>company than product-driven, much as I understand corporate realities, IMO a
>dangerous trend for a tech-market company.

I have to point out that EDA and other CAD-type products leave a lasting legacy at the
user's company.  It is not like a new valve or motor that gets put into a new OEM
product.  It (the CAD package) embeds itself into all the documents and designs
the company makes over the time the CAD package is used, so there is a need to
stay compatible with all that design effort, unless a converter program is available.
There's also the learning curve for the people who use the packages.

Jon