On 07:23 PM 8/08/2001 -0400, Darryl Newberry said:
>Hi people,
>
>More frustrating problems with (IMO) very basic features....Help files are
>no help as usual. Knowledge base is down.
>
>Polygon plane on Mid 1.
>Clearance around Multilayer pads and vias is incorrect (8 mil not 20 mil).
>However, clearance is correct for tracks on Mid 1.
>Why would the rule Clearance shown below (8 mil) override the Clearance_3
>rule? Is there a workaround? I need a 20 mil gap!
>
>Relevant rules pasted from the Rules report.
>
>Clearance Constraint :
>    Enabled = Yes    Name = Clearance
>              Scope1 = Board
>              Scope2 = Board
>              Connectivity = Different Nets
>              Gap = 8mil
>              Rule Followed By Router
>
>    Enabled = Yes    Name = Clearance_3
>              Scope1 = Mid 1 & Polygon
>              Scope2 = Mid 1 & Thru-Hole Pad, Via
>              Connectivity = Different Nets
>              Gap = 20mil
>              Rule Followed By Router
<..snip..>

Darryl,

I guess this second rule is the issue.  Protel does *not* think that a
thru-hole (multi-layer) pad exists on the individual layers, for the design
rules at least.  I want this repaired/changed as there have been a number
of times when I wanted layer specific rules for thru-hole pads/vias.  (The
most recent time this came up for discussion was during a discussion on
tenting the top layer but leaving all the bottom sides of vias exposed.)

Change Scope2 to simply "Thru-Hole Pad, Via" and I think it should then
work.  Adding the extra layer scope in Scope2 does not increase the
strictness of the rule (as Scope1 already restricts its application to
Mid1) but it causes the rule to never be applied as then boolean expression
(Mid1 AND multi-layer) is always FALSE.

I haven't tested the above but I think it should work.

Ian Wilson