Tim Hutcheson wrote:

> I'm having trouble with "naughty bits" - little pieces of track that get
> left hidden under components by a certain sequence of operations.  perhaps
> someone else could verify this and tell me what I am doing wrong.  Roughly
> it goes as follows:
> 7) Now do auto-route.
>
> 8) After auto-routing completes or stops due to a DRC error, move the part
> and observe the hidden bits of track that are left behind.
>
> The bits seem to be at the intersection of the track elbows entering the via
> and the vias - the logical and of these, so to speak.  These don't seem to
> be a problem of course until you move the part one day and don't notice the
> little specks that now are shorting the components that are moved over the
> old positions.

The autorouter typically adds a thousand or more practically zero-length
track segments to tracks where they jump from the standard grid to off-grid
locations, such as SMT IC pads.  I delete these when I find them in the
course of cleaning up messy routing.  Otherwise, i don't bother with them.

I try to do all component placing BEFORE I run the autorouter, and try to
never move stuff around after routing.  If I do want to move more than 1
or a few passive components, I usually make that decision after reviewing
the autorouter mess, and unroute before I do it  (or after).  The state the
PCB is left in after autorouting is not conducive to a major reorganization
of the part placement.

Jon