Well, the finer the (imaginary) routing grid, the more choices there are,
and memory becomes a problem.  The rules need to be carefully crafted
to allow routing to work effectively.  The minimum trace width needs to
be small enough so that all the connections from the BGA pads to the vias
can be made in a VERY packed area.  This is tough, and it may be better
to do this manually.

One thing that comes to mind, a known bug, is if there are arcs or certain
other features in the keepout boorder that encloses the active area of the
board (or no keepout border, or an incomplete one that allows the whole
world to be part of the routing region) then the autorouter behaves as
you describe.  Many people have reported this behavior.  If your boundary
on the keepout layer is not a simple closed path made from tracks, change
it and try again.

I suspect you could have routed this board manually in 3 weeks.  You may
need to manually route it, anyway.  Many of the designers of high-end
boards manually route most of the design because a person does a much
better job that the default router Protel supplies.

Jon