On 11:58 AM 13/08/2001 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>I have been unable to autoroute a 10 layer design which has 2 fine grid
>BGA packages. Protel support has not been able to assist me and has cause
>a 3 MONTH delay of this design. Protel's auto-router simply locks-up or
>does not initialize. The autorouter give no reason for the problem and
>Protel is either unwilling or unable to address the problem. Therefore, I
>am under the impression that there is a major software problem with
>respect to the autorouter and BGA components. Has anyone else seen this
>problem? If any other user has had this problem or know of a fix, PLEASE
>contact me ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). Thanks you for any feedback.
>
>Loop.
>Posted from Association web site by: Gerard Vanderloop

Yes the Protel 99/99SE autorouter has problems - but 3 months delay.  I
could hand route a pretty large board in 3 months.  And I know that others
could double my throughput at least.  With 2 BGAs and 10 layers to play
with there must be a *lot* of other stuff on it.  3 months to lay out a
board - OK you professional PCB designers what sort of size must we be
talking about here - 2 m x 2m? :-)

Not so sure about the etiquette of requesting replies by mail - in the
Usenet world this is considered bad form.  This forum is a bidirectional
thing - "give a bit get a lot".

Others have discussed routing strategies for BGA in the past.  I did try to
have look through the archive
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/protel-users-PEDA-Archive) but I could not
find much there. and my own more extensive archive (going back years) did
not show much of relevance.  I do seem to recall someone saying they were
having some success with autorouting BGAs.  Was it Gordon Price?

Ian Wilson