Richard Thompson wrote:

> Hi
> Can anyone tell me how to place a component on to a schematic without being
> on a pcb and vica versa?  (using syncronizer on Protel 99SESP6)
>
> ie.  on a scematic I have symbols in the library for safety critical
> information etc by certain components. info only, no footprint.  however
> (D)esign/Update (P)cb thinks it should update this to the board then
> complains that it can't find a footprint!!

If it is not a physical component, don't make it one on the schematic.
Yes, it is more convenient to have it in a library, but that causes this
problem.  You can have blocks of text in boxes that are cut and pasted
from another sheet.  If you want these symbols, etc. associated with
specific components, make a copy of the component, and add the symbol
to the graphic info for that component, and give it a different library name.

> Then on a pcb i have things like holes and heatsinks that i do not want on
> the schematic and again the Synconizer complains and/or tries to delete them
> depending on which way i am synconizing!

This may be easier to do AS a component.  Make an extra schematic sheet
with these odd 'parts' on it, and put them on the PCB, too.  Or, you can just
turn off all 'delete' checkboxes in the synchronizer, like I do.

Jon