On 02:17 PM 6/09/2001 -0700, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax said:
>At 09:10 AM 9/6/01 +1000, Ian Wilson wrote:
>>I am searching (part time) for a better method of maintaining the bug
>>list.  I am thinking something along the lines of the Bugzilla project as
>>used by the Mozilla people (http://www.mozilla.org/bugs/).  Or something
>>similar.
>>
>>What I would like is:
>>1) easy entry and editing (by one or more admin people)
>>2) able to act as store for more than just bugs, also suggestions
>>3) ability to maintain a status on each bug/suggestion - such as fixed
>>and in what version it was fixed
>>4) more powerful search
>>5) Maybe the ability to accept ongoing comments from users (possibly
>>moderated) and maintain the thread to allow issues to be
>>discussed.  (This should not be confused as another mailing list, that is
>>not the function.)
>>6) ability to include graphics in posts maybe to allow screen shots to be
>>included - although these could be links to external pages.
>>
>>My problem is I do not know much about Perl/CGI/webby stuff.  So I am not
>>sure how one would go about installing this, getting the source etc.
>>
>>I am enlisting a couple of people who think they can offer some time and
>>expertise to help set up a better bug/suggestion tracking system. Frankly
>>I do not want to get too involved in the nitty gritty apart from
>>commenting on the solutions that others dig up.  Anyon got the skills
>>required?  I am not too interested in "I would like to help but have not
>>got the time".  None of us have.  If you were going to write along those
>>lines just don't write, thanks.

>Hmmm... Most of the desired qualities are already in place, using the
>associated list [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Not really - mailing lists do not search well, and there is much clicking
to follow threads.  Editing data and appending new info is messy.   I am
looking for an independent (of Protel) KB sort of things that allows
tracking of bugs and suggestions.  This function is not served well by a
mailing list - moderated or not.  The combination of the Yahoo database and
the supporting mailing list is workable but not ideal.

The yahoo database function is too limited for what I want.  Grafting on
additional functionality by linking to mailing lists is a work-around.  As
we move to a more professional footing I see value in getting the PrU-KB
into one location (that can be backed up).  with easy edits.  The display
formatting of the yahoo database is not ideal and has lots of clutter.

Thanks for the comments,
Ian