I am trying to control curent paths in a mixed signal design.  I have
separate gounds, an over-all ground plane with "isolated islands" which
should only connect under an ADC.  I created a separate island with its own
net assignment and on the pcb implemented it by using a 0.1mil border all
the way around the island.

  This should effectively be a short?  HELP HERE.

I then traced the 0.1mil border with a 20mil line all the way around the
island, except where I wanted it to join.

Should this work?  The gerbers are created correctly.  What will happen at
the board house?  Is there something else I should do?

Thanks,

Mike Ingle
Ancore
-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Wilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 4:11 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PEDA] (small unrelated bug found) (ex: Mechanikal Layers
are disappearing)


On 03:37 PM 13/09/2001 -0700, Brad Velander said:
>Thanks guys,
>         for confirming it is not a singular isolated problem (based on
>response only). It is an annoying little problem which limits the
>effectiveness of using Mech layers 5 - 16. I had thought it was a code
>problem because it was consistent across a number of machines, video cards
>and had always been present since we switched to P99SE with only the new
>mech layers being effected.
>
>Anybody out there have any ideas to fix or root out the cause of this
>problem?
>
>Has anybody brought this up with Protel Tech support, what was their
>response?


I do not see the problem.  I have just been investigating and found a
different small bug that may affect database stability (but not badly I
suspect).

First, my config Win2k, nVidia TNT2 graphics.

I tried quite a few combinations of single layer mode (both locally for the
layers and globally and other options and preferences as I thought may
affect it.  I could not see the problem.

What we do not know is if it is a database issue, a configuration issue or
a machine issue.  If someone wants to email a file that shows the problem
*and* their RCS and *99SE.INI files (all zipped of course) I am prepared to
have a quick go and see what gives.

On to the (minor) bug - In doing the testing I enabled layers Mech 7 to 10,
I then placed a bunch of tracks on Mech 9 and 10.  I then double clicked
one of the Mech 9 tracks and changed its layer to Mech 7 (there were no
other entities on Mech 7).  In Design|Mechanical Layers... found that I was
still able to Mech 7 off, even though it had a track on it.  The database
had not correctly determined that there was an entity on the layer and so
allowed me to disable Mech 7.  Interestingly though, the track was still
visible and its colour remained correct for Mech 7. Double clicking this
track showed that the system though it was on Top Layer (possibly just
picking the lowest indexed enabled layer to display in the Edit Track layer
edit box).  Re-enabling Mech Layer 7 seemed to get everything sorted out
OK.  I did not try saving and re-opening the PCB file or the DDB.  Tech
support can do this (they have been CC'ed on this mail).  The fix is
presumably to improve the ability to check for entities on a layer before
allowing that layer to be disabled.

Ian Wilson

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* To post a message: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
* To leave this list visit:
* http://www.techservinc.com/protelusers/leave.html
*
* Contact the list manager:
* mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
* Forum Guidelines Rules:
* http://www.techservinc.com/protelusers/forumrules.html
*
* Browse or Search previous postings:
* http://www.mail-archive.com/proteledaforum@techservinc.com
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Reply via email to