I had to do a similar job and found a way to increase productivity.

1.      get gerber files of your old boards. If you have films of it, some
        pcb - maker has a raster scanner to make it.

2.      import the files, edit and make a netlist from the routed board.
3.      Have or make a netlist from the schematic.
4.      Check the netlist against each other and clear any upcomming question.
        ( If the layouts where handmade without a netlist, you will be surprised
        how can it be that it worked even when different to the schematic. )

There are lots more of steps between, if there is any interest, I would tell
you
about some time.

Georg