Abdul,

I put your suggestion to my gerber-speaking colleague and he says that it
would be easy to hook up the RS-274X in the manner that you prescribe. His
only negative comments were : 1) that the definition files might be
different eg one user's definition of "complex-teardrop1" might conflict
with another user's defintion and these shapes would have to be defined for
each and every library component. 2) The "simple" shapes of round and
rectangular are not good enough for many of the shapes that he has defined
which are mixtures of polygons, lines and arcs as well as round and
rectangular. 3) The DRC speed would inevitably suffer since pads become
complex objects - when comparing two ordinary pads there is 1 calculation
but comparing two complex objects would be n x m calculations where n and m
are the number of primitives in the two pads. There would be equal
implications in screen refresh time and some implications in file size.

There are tools which seem to offer all the required functionality while
maintaining speed, so it's definitely not impossible to achieve...

Doug