My reply (don't worry, I won't post any more like this I've nearly had
enough):

Craig,

What you do not seem to understand is that I and many other businesses will
not pay $4000 for 12 months support (after the initial "free 12 months"). It
is an unrealistic price. Therefore no support (especially with buggy
software like Protel) = no sale.
Please see additional comments in your text below.

Yours sincerely,

Tom Luttrell.

What could be easier than downloading free service packs as per the current
system?

> ATS membership is now provided with all Protel full suite
> licenses (effective October 1st, 2001). Rest assured, if you
> have purchased your Protel 99 SE license prior to October
> 1st, 2001 you do not need to purchase ATS for your current
> license. You will continue to receive full ATS-level
> technical support, library updates, and any new service packs
> and add-ons for Protel 99 SE as part of your current license.
> When you upgrade from Protel 99 SE to the next version of
> Protel you will then receive 12 months free ATS as part of
> their upgrade.

What if I do not upgrade to the next version? It's not an option for small
businesses to continually be forking out the sort of money you ask for
upgrades. How long will you continue to provide free support to 99SE users?

> If you have any older Protel versions that you would like to
> upgrade to Protel 99 SE or if you would like to purchase an
> additional Protel 99 SE license then you will receive
> 12-months free ATS membership with any Protel full suite
> licenses purchased after October 1st, 2001 (valued at $2,195*).
>
> ATS membership minimizes the complication of budgeting for
> and administering the latest design tools and is clearly the
> most cost-effective means of ensuring that your design tools
> always remain up-to-date. From immediate delivery of the
> latest product releases during your membership, service
> packs, technology add-ons and libraries to the assurance of
> fast, comprehensive technical support, countless technical
> and educational resources and access to exclusive Altium
> special offers, ATS keeps you at the leading edge of
> electronic design.

Ahhh... I see - it's to help your bean counters not the customer.