On 11:59 AM 2/11/2001 +1200, Steve Baldwin said:

> > This intrigues me - why does a stock price have to move?  A stable
> > stock price with a reasonable PE ratio may be the sign of a stable
> > company. Seems to me the idea of share prices having to move is a
> > recipe for short-term rather than long-term financial management.  I
> > thought that the tech bubble popping had dispelled some of this
> > growth-over-dividend baloney.
>
>I may be wrong here (and I'm sure I'll be corrected), but I think this
>may be a difference between the US stock/share business model
>and the Aus/NZ way of doing things.
>
>My understanding is that the dividend doesn't exist in the US. You
>buy stock at the current price and only make a gain when you sell
>it at (hopefully) a higher price.

Aaaah! That explains some stuff then.  But Altium is listed on the ASX so
it should be judged by the standards in use in the right-side-up part of
the world, you know, that bit that gets to see the Milky Way properly.

Last dividend was 4.5c fully franked paid on 19/10/01 with current share
price of about $4.35.  Total dividends for the year are 8c but 3.5c of this
is not franked.  Is this good or bad?

Thanks for the info,
Ian

PS - I wonder if the Forum Admin is going to start slapping wrists as this
ATS discussion is outside the intention of forum? :-)