> same here. Even medium designs won't route and end up with an "unable to
> initialise". Does anyone know a reason and workaround for this effect?

I have found this to usually be due to components outside the keepout area
or the keepout area being incomplete or inside out.

The other thing that will cause this is certain DRC errors, but I can't
remember which exactly.

So check your keepout and components then run a DRC.

Yes it would be better if it would give you a good error message like
"unable to initalize due to component outside keepout", but I think this is
more a specification error than a real software bug.

Rob