> My biggest gripe of M$ OS's is that to install most programs
> you need to
> reboot, and if you are installing multiple programs and choose not to
> reboot, funny registry corruption can occur (which is hit and
> miss, may
> happen to 1 of 10 identical builds)
>
> Atleast with the *nix's unless changing hardware, their is no
> need to touch
> the power switch, infact I hardly ever even use need to
> reboot (only after a
> kernel re compile)

This is true. I installed Win98, and rebooted no less than 4 times in the
entire process. There is really no reason whatsoever that this should have
to happen. Linux will only require one reboot.

WinNT: Change IP? Reboot. Change domain name? Reboot. Add/remove external
SCSI hard disk? Reboot.

On linux you can do all of this without rebooting...

> Add this to the license issues, and I can fast see why *nix
> is taking over,
> sure installation is not user friendly YET, but it is getting
> their, a new
> version is rumoured to be released soon that will allow easy
> auto config for
> hardware, boots straight to the GUI .... Basically OsX for a PC :o)

Try Mandrake 8.X, it's already there.

Cheers,
MvdW