I am quite sure of what we get.
>From Protel's web site:

Existing Protel 99 SE customers
All Protel 99 SE customers who have purchased prior to October 1st,
2001 do not need to purchase ATS for their current license.
They will continue to receive full ATS-level technical support,
library updates, and any new service packs and add-ons for
Protel 99 SE as part of their current license.
Customers who upgrade from Protel 99 SE to the next version of
Protel will then receive 12 months free ATS as part of their upgrade.

In other words, we are getting ATS "level" technical support for free
until we upgrade.  We must purchase the next upgrade at an as of yet
unspecified cost.
With this we get the next upgrade and ATS "free" for one year.
Oh yes, one other thing we get - the shaft.

Steve Smith
Product Engineer
Staco Energy Products Co.
Web Site: www.stacoenergy.com