>Except I seem to find many trivial situations where it just doesn't
>work.  the machine just beeps at me when I try to place the second point on

>the wire.  This is not in dense areas or areas where the bends are complex.
>
>I have assumed that it is something I am doing or the feature has bugs -
>any suggestions as to why it fails (sometimes) under trivial conditions.

When I first started using Protel, I used this feature, but I never use it
now, as like you said above, it doesn't always connect, and sometimes it
chooses very strange routes.  I also found (although I haven't tried it for
a long while) that it doesn't always actually make a connection when you
think it has, so that when you update the PCB, you suddenly realise that
some nets are unconnected (seems very dangerous to me).  You also can't use
the delete key to move back a step; It seems like you have back stepped, but
if you try to connect to another wire, or node, it will not let you, and
when you right click to abandon the action, it still places the wire.

Steve