>       I have a component that is a 176 pin micro. I have a few choices
>between the types of packages I can choose from. One of the choices is a
>BGA, the other TQFP. Is there a way to number the schematic part to work
>with both the BGA alpha numeric and TQFP numeric? Or am I going to have to
>renumber the BGA to be numeric?

This sounds like a bad idea...you'd probably end up with a BGA footprint
with an insane numbering pattern...  then how is anybody going to debug the
BGA-based board/schematic?

They'll look at the data sheet for the chip and it'll say pin 'C13' and your
schematic will show pin 97 or something.  Ouch.

What if you make a mistake in your oddball numbering of the BGA pins, how
will you tell (until the board is fabbed!)

And your wacko BGA footprint will never be reusable for any other chip...

I'd bite the bullet and do this the obvious, hard way: make a
standard-numbered BGA footprint (A1,A2...) which you can reuse someday for a
different part in the same package,  then make 2 schematic symbols, one for
each pkg.  I'd at least put corresponding pins in the same locs on the 2
symbols so they can be easily 'swapped' in the schematic if necessary...

good luck
--
Peter W. Richards / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Design Engineer