I had to organize my sch-lib for the same fact. It is possible to add more
than one footprint to each schematic component, but I woudn't do that,
because
some parts have different numbering for different footprints. ( And perhaps
some pins more or less which have to be treated in different ways. )

So the most simple and consequent way is to have a different schematic
component
for each different package and name it so. ( 74HC00_SO, 74HC00_DIL,
16V8_PLCC )

Georg

        I was afraid I was going to have to do this. Our engineers have
selected a hand full of components that they are going to be using on all of
our new designs. All the components picked come in three or four different
package formats, which depending on the design are going to be used one time
or another. So now I have to flag each component for each foot print.

Thank you for the input,

Ted