At 10:47 AM 1/17/2002 -0800, Jaurique, Brad wrote:
>When using the update pcb command from the schematic choose to "preview
>changes"
>then remove the resistors you don't want from the change list.

This would work, but is unnecessarily cumbersome. One could accomplish the
same thing by deleting the resistors after they were loaded. In another
post, however, I suggested assigning a non-existent footprint with a name
that made it clear that the "error" was intentional. This would be
self-maintaining.

>   But you
>might have to
>create a rule for the missing resistors.

No rule is necessary for missing parts. Net information is carried in two
places in the Protel database, if I am correct. One place is a list of
nets, which does not contain assigned pins; the other is the net field in
the primitive records.

Unlike Tango, Protel does not create dummy pads for unplaced components. If
a component is not loaded because the footprint does not exist, the pad
simply does not exist.

This is an important point: DRC will *not* inform you about missing
components, that is, components on the schematic that are not on the PCB,
either because load failed or was interrupted, or because the component was
later deleted. If it is deleted, it's gone, except, of course, for the undo
buffer.

So it is highly advised to *always* update PCB from schematic before
releasing a board, to verify that no macros are created, or that any macros
which are created are intentional deviations between schematic and PCB.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA