"Rooms" is a shining light among Protel's features. I lament Altium's dearth
of information about its workings, which no doubt leaves many Protel users
unaware of its capability. I recall that the few posts I've seen on the
subject were positive. Clearly, Mr Lomax appreciates Rooms, and I appreciate
his comments.

It is instructive to distinguish among the various abstractions applicable
to the  term, "Rooms". Rooms certainly provide an effective tool for PCB
organization, areal utilization of PCB real estate, and component placement.
Another useful concept is the manipulation of  Room boundaries to minimize
ratsnest crossings, thus allowing easier routing. These concepts apply
exclusively to the geometric aspects of PCB layout.

But Rooms have another meaning to many engineers; namely, they are
functional blocks of components grouped to perform  specific definable
tasks. The blocks are created and positioned to provide logical signal flow
and cohesive physical structure. Note that this often results in
hierarchical schematic sheets. In most cases the groupings are specified and
the Rooms are definable before the first PCB sheet is generated. When all is
ready, engineers want the capability to transfer these groupings to the PCB.

I previously wrote: " ... the claim ... ('Protel 99 SE includes features
that help you TRANSFER this grouping information from the schematic to the
PCB.') is FALSE so far as I can tell. A more veracious statement is: 'Protel
99 SE includes features that help you CONSTRUCT the schematic grouping
information while editing the PCB'."  Subsequently, I learned that transfer
IS actually possible, albeit somewhat indirectly (Except through sub-sheets,
Rooms cannot be defined in the Schematic). I've outlined a method for group
transfers in the dialog below.