David,
to re-associate *.sch with protel, you have to assign it to open with
Client99SE.exe not schematic.exe.
A quick way to do this (in windows95/98/ME) is find a .sch file hold down
the shift key, right click on the icon and select 'open with'. After
selecting Client99SE.exe (you may have to browse for it, try, "C:\Program
Files\Design Explorer 99 SE\Client99SE.exe"), make sure the 'always use this
program...' check box is selected before proceeding.