Newer versions of M$ Windows ( 95 and so on) "understand" longer extentions, e.g.
.shtml from the www or .aiff for sound. It is sometimes annoyingly that this fact is
nearly unregarded, because you get in trouble when you have files of different types
but with the same "name".
But there would be really a lot of people out of work if computers would be perfect.
;o)

Matthias