i said:

>i did a design rules check and i had 15 shorts and 15
>corresponding clearance constraints.  scared me good!
>i looked at some of the problems and there were vias
>and traces with no net.  i was clueless.  they wouldn't
>go away with an unroute.

mr. lomax said:

This is what happens when the autorouter stops or is
stopped before completion.

me again:

what?  if the autoroute doesn't complete then it leaves
a bunch of unconnected "no net" vias and traces?  thats
ugly!  those "no net" vias and traces are not going away
even when i unroute the board.  on a board i finished up
yesterday, it wasn't a big problem... i went in and
deleted them by hand, but now i'm on another board and
i've got the same situation but there's unconnected vias
and traces all over the place.  its unusable.

is there no way to get rid of all those junk vias and
traces that an uncompleted autoroute appears to place,
other than doing it manually?

why did the autorouter go into an endless loop?  i've
never had trouble with the autorouter before.  the board
is not densely populated.  there was plenty of room to
run traces.

thanks, miker