This one is for the Protel experts !

Recently we switched to a new network server. The problem is that our
libraries are being overwritten and corrupted. We are not able to save our
parts edits to the libraries without the files being corrupted. I have spent
many hours restoring these library files from backups, but the problem
persists. We have a database file which is dedicated to our schematic
libraries and anther database dedicated to our pcb libraries. All files in
these databases are linked documents, this allows several users to access
the libraries and make use of them even while others may be editting
somewhere else on the network. Traditionally we have had no problems with
this system, but since we updated our network with a new microsoft server we
are constantly losing files or having them corrupted. For example I made a
schematic library symbol for one of our engineers to use in a schematic he
is currently working on. When I saved the part and reopened the library the
part was not there. If I try to edit in any other schematic library or pcb
library and then save the library file, the file gets overwritten with the
schematic IC library. I have tried to move library files from the network
onto my hardrive to isolate the problem and this appeared to work, at least
my parts did not go missing, but another user found that the library he
saved to his harddrive went bad (overwritten with the IC lib) . Needless to
say this has been extremely frustrating for us and has slowed us down
considerably. Our network administrator has tried to investigate this
problem, but continues to assure me there is no way for the network to
delete, corrupt, or overwrite data. He has carefully investigated the
permissions and administration of the files on the network server and can
find no reason why these files are being corrupted. I am hoping that someone
with knowledge of how Protel interfaces with new operating systems and
network software may be able to shed some light on this problem. Are you
aware of Protel being incompatible with any network software systems ?

Thanks,
Daniel Webster
Northern Airborne Technology
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]