I was a bit cryptic, I was heading out of the office...

At 05:42 PM 2/11/2002 -0500, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>At 02:18 PM 2/11/2002 -0800, Brad Velander wrote:
>>I understand your point guys, about the rotated pins being usually off-grid.
>>However with setting the grid down to 1 and the electrical snap to hotspots
>>on, one can ensure that the connection is valid.
>
>"could", not "can", I think.

Yes, one could take care to ensure that connections are valid. The cost is
only time and only money. Let's say that I would hate to be the recipient
of a schematic with off-grid connections (grid being .1 inch in Schematic).

In fact, I'll put it in past tense: I hated to be the recipient of such a
schematic....

I'm not sure what would happen to a rotated pin and grid snap. The rotation
would generally take the endpoint off of grid 1 (which is .01 inch); doing
this would require the whole database to be modified to higher precision,
it would make schematic analysis take longer, etc., etc.

And it is very difficult for me to detect an advantage to it. It would be
quite rare for it to be useful. I do sometimes wire at 45 degrees or other
angles, remember the old standard flip-flop pattern? If you want to swap
lines it is really neat to have them cross each other at 45 degrees, it
uses minimal space and is crystal clear to the reader. But that is about as
far as I stray from strict orthagonal wires and it does not involve going
off grid.

If it were up to me, though, I would make it impossible to place hot spots
on pins anywhere else than on .1 inch grid. I've seen nothing but grief
from engineers who turned off grid, both with Tango and Protel schematics.
I may have seen this particular disaster in OrCAD as well, but I'm not sure.

Perhaps there could be a schematic library tool that rotated primitives at
other angles. This would make it easy to draw rotated parts. But I'd still
highly advise having the hot spots of pins on .1 grid, and perhaps the
rotation tool would not rotate pins and would not take them off the current
grid setting.

While we are on the subject, a little reminder that rotated text in Protel
is deficient. If I rotate or mirror a part on a schematic, I want the text
block to occupy the same space. Protel does know to keep it reading
correctly, but it does not shift the text reference point to keep the text
block in the same location. As a result, symbols containing text generally
become garbage when rotated or mirrored. This should be easy to fix....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA