At 03:13 PM 13/02/02 +1000, you wrote:
>Here at Texcel, we're trying to "get control" of our documentation, and
>create some consistent guidelines for filenames of product documents.
>
>One persistent problem is that within a DDB of Filename "XXX.ddb" there will
>exist lots of other design files (sch, pcb etc...) with (potentially)
>"YYY.sch" and "ZZZ.pcb" and so on and so forth...
>This plays hell with our Document Register system, which wants just one
>filename for the "Analog Card PCB".
>
>So...how do you guys solve this dilemma?
>I don't want to give up the convenience of the ddb file system (by using
>Windows file system), and I want associated PCB files kept with SCH's.
>It isn't Protel's fault, probably just lack of imagination on my part!
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Damon Kelly
>R&D Engineer
>
>Blastronics Systems and Services
>Infratech Systems & Services
>...business units of:
>
>Texcel Pty Ltd
>PO Box 3699
>South Brisbane, QLD 4101
>AUSTRALIA

Damon,

You could consider using the full DDB path and address.  There is a defined
path describing the DDBAddress of document.  Protel have documented this in
their KB item 2200.

So a specific document (inside a DDB) could be referred to by the full path
of the DDB as well as the DDBAddress of the document.  But this may well be
too convoluted for you.  But the concept of simply extending the normal
path into the DDB as a description may well work OK.

So you could have:
\\MyServer\Project Archives\DDB\MegaBlast_1A.DDB\PCB\Analog Card.PCB

This is not a real resolvable path but if you consider the DDB as simply a
binder for multiple files it is not too far off.  (The SDK is pretty much
structured this way - have a look at KB Item 2200.)

Ian Wilson