At 03:59 PM 2/14/2002 +0000, Jason Morgan wrote:
>Hry creating a .ddb then save it and exit.
>Rename it to a file with a single quote in it.
>
>e.g.
>MyDatabase.ddb -> Jason's Database.ddb
>
>Then try opening it.
>
>Hmm, where did that database go.....

P99SE SP6, W2000, adding the single quote or apostrophe caused Protel not
to recognise the file, it asks me to add it to a new database. When I
refused, the file was not overwritten, it was recovered for use by renaming
it to remove the errant character.

There are certain nonalphanumeric characters that always work in filenames.
I think that apostrophe is not one of them. I use underscore and hyphen a
lot, and space now works in Windows, but I like to keep more portability
and the use of old utilities, etc., so I tend to stick with underscore if a
space would otherwise be appropriate.

But I no longer try to stay within the 8.3 limits. Good riddance.
Fortunately DOS -- at least the DOS that comes with Windows with long file
names allowed -- allows also a method of accessing those long file names
through an alias.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA